24 January 2008

This season's sacked managers. Plus Strachan Quotes

Last week Kevin Keegan returned to Newcastle United. He never won a major trophy last time he was there and he's been out of a managing job for three years, so Toon knows what he's been choosen as the mesiah this time. One thing for sure, Newcastle need to keep him for longer than Big Sam who was only in the job for 7 months. The most successful Premiership manager took 4 years to win anything.

The Toon Army have had 7 managers in the past 7 years. They really need to get behind Keegan and be patient and let him build a team rather than expecting miracles in months.

These are the managers that have already parted company with their Premier League teams this season:

  1. Sept 20: Jose Mourinho (Chelsea)
  2. 0ct 17: Sammy Lee (Bolton)
  3. Oct 25: Martin Jol (Tottenham)
  4. Nov 5: Chris Hutchings (Wigan)
  5. Nov 19: Steve Bruce (Birmingham)
  6. Nov 26: Billy Davies (Derby)
  7. Dec 21: Lawrie Sanchez (Fulham)
  8. Jan 9: Sam Allerdyce (Newcastle)

George Burley has also left Chamionship side Southampton to manage the Scottish National team today. Now, I meant to do this list last week but was reminded about it by Burley's departure and a list The Times Online published today, some great quotes from Gordon Strachan, Celtic manager (and former Southampton manager whilst I was working for ITV, I'm not sure if any of these quotes are from when we interviewed him!).

Top ten Gordon Strachan ripostes

1. On Wayne Rooney : It's an incredible rise to stardom, at 17 you’re more
likely to get a call from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Eriksson.

2. Reporter: Can I ask you about Augustin Delgado [an underperforming player Strachan had
purchased for Southampton] Strachan: I've got more important things to think
about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can
be my priority rather than Augstin Delgado.


3. Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are
the right man to turn things around? Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the
right an for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham
because I’m useless."


4. Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result? Strachan: You’re spot on!
You can read me like a book.


5. Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy
to get your first win under your belt, won't you? Strachan: You're right. It
is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a
daft question, you’re spot on there.


6. Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it? Strachan: No, I'm just
going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump
off a bridge. Umm, I
think I can take it, yeah.


7. Reporter: where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up? Strachan: Not telling you!
It's a secret.


8. Reporter: Gordon, Do you think James Beattie [one of Strachan's players] deserves to be in the England
squad? Strachan: I don't care, I'm
Scottish


9. Reporter: You don't
take losing lightly, do you Gordon? Strachan: I don't take
stupid comments lightly either.


10. Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better
than you today? Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out
there….

Above quotes from The Times

No comments: