Despite being at work today and my cold lingering on (I feel fine, the gunkiness just won't shift!) I feel pretty good today. Yep, it's my birthday. Even the postal strike backlog delaying a few presents isn't even bringing me down. Sally is coming into my work later with some buns she's baked, so things can only be good.
So here's a list of things that happened on my birthday (don't worry, not 37 of them!)
- 1356 - Basel earthquake, the most significant historic seismological event north of the Alps destroyed the town of Basel, Switzerland
- 1851 - Herman Melville's Moby Dick is first published as The Whale by Richard Bentley of London.
- 1867 - United States takes possession of Alaska after purchasing it from Russia for $7.2 million. Celebrated annually in the state as Alaska Day.
- 1929 - Women are considered "Persons" under law in Canada.
- 1944 - Adolf Hitler orders the establishment of a German national militia.
- 1968 - A police raid on John Lennon and Yoko Ono's flat finds 168 grams of marijuana. They later plead guilty and are fined £150.
- 1968 - Bob Beamon sets a world record of 8.90m in the long jump at the Mexico City games. This becomes the longest unbroken track and field
- 1968 - The U.S. Olympic Committee suspends two black athletes for giving a "black power" salute during a victory ceremony at the Mexico City games.
- 1991 - Azerbaijan declares independence from USSR
- Famous birthdays include: 1405 - Pope Pius II (d. 1464) , 1926 - Chuck Berry, 1926 - Klaus Kinski, German actor (d. 1991), 1927 - George C. Scott, American actor (d. 1999) , 1939 - Lee Harvey Oswald, purported American assassin of John F. Kennedy (d. 1963), 1974 - Robbie Savage, Welsh footballer, 1982 - Ne-Yo, American "singer".
Free Online Dating from JustSayHi