Gavin and Stacey, the cult BBC3 comedy, scooped three awards at last nights British Comedy Awards. It was over= shadowed by the fact that for the first time ITV didn't screen the ceremony live, due to rows that last year's event staged a viewer phone-in scandal. The audience was still asked to vote (on a premium rate phone line) even after the count was in and the winner decided.
This seems to have been a trend on British tv and radio. The BBC has suspended all competitions. Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway, which was criticised for irregularities in their phon ins, won a couple of awards, though presenters Ant and Dec were again absent on the night.
- Television comedy actor - David Mitchell, Peep Show
- Television comedy actress - Liz Smith, The Royle Family: The Queen of Sheba
- Comedy entertainment personality - Simon Amstell, Never Mind the Buzzcocks
- Male comedy newcomer - James Corden, Gavin and Stacey
- Female comedy newcomer - Ruth Jones, Gavin and Stacey
- New British television comedy (scripted) - Gavin and Stacey
- Television comedy - Peep Show
- New comedy entertainment programme - Al Murray's Happy Hour
- Live stand-up - Alan Carr
- Comedy film - The Simpsons Movie
- The Writers' Guild Ronnie Barker Award - Simon Pegg
- British comedy lifetime achievement award - Stephen Fry