13 December 2007

NME's Top 50 Albums of the Year

The once ubiquitous bible of independent music, the NME has published it's top 50 albums of the year (I shall add their tracks of the year at another point). It's another prize for Klaxons after winning this years Mercury Music Prize. I've put comments when I know enough about the band. I've heard of most of them but couldn't place all of them to the tracks I've heard so I'll not comment. Feel free to add a comment yourself on this list or any omissions.

  1. *Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future - fantastic band, great singles and amazing live
  2. Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare - brilliant album, never thought they'd follow up their debut but they did with this amazing set of tunes and fantastic lyrics
  3. *Radiohead - In Rainbow - still haven't managed to download this but I love the first single
  4. Arcade Fire - Neon Bible - saw them at Glastonbury, amazed and disappointed in equal amounts
  5. Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
  6. Kings of Leon - Because of the Times - love the singles and brilliant live band (I saw a few years ago)
  7. MIA - Kala
  8. Biffy Clyro - Puzzle - great singles, might have to look in getting this one
  9. The Cribs - Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever - great standout title single
  10. Battles - Mirrored
  11. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
  12. The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
  13. PJ Harvey - White Chalk
  14. Babyshambles - Shotters Nation - biggest surprise at Glastonbury that Pete turned up and they were actually quite good
  15. The White Stripe - Icky Thump - stunning return to form
  16. The Coral - Roots and Echos
  17. Future of the Left - Curses
  18. The Good, The Bad and the Queen - The Good, The Bad and the Queen - great singles, must get a copy. Damon Album has become one of this country's most interesting artists.
  19. Richard Hawley - Lady's Bridge
  20. Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City - I don't "get" Blo Party, truly atrocious at Glasto
  21. *The Enemy - We'll Live and Die in These Towns - one of the albums on my Christmas list
  22. Black Lips - Good Bad Not Evil
  23. Maps - We Can Create
  24. The Maccabees - Colour It In - only know the track used on some advert and it's quite lovely
  25. The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America
  26. Kate Nash - Made of Bricks - simply annoying and I can only listen to her songs once before they get on my nerves
  27. The Horrors - Strange House
  28. Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
  29. Lethal Bizzle - Back to Bizznizz - not my cup of tea, celebrating lawlessness is just wrong imho
  30. Queens of the Stoneage - Era Vulgaris - loved their earlier stuff, Sick Sick Sick was horrendous and Josh Homme is a complete knob!
  31. The Pigeon Detectives - Wait For Me - catchy singles, look good live but ultimately quite a standard "indie" band
  32. Grinderman - Grinderman
  33. Simian Mobile Disco - Attack Decau Sustain
  34. New Young Pony Club - Fantastic Playroom
  35. Super Furry Animals - Hey Venus
  36. Holy Fuck - Holy Fuck
  37. Jamie T - Panic Prevention - better than The Streets
  38. Justice - †
  39. Jeffrey Lewis - 12 Crass Songs
  40. El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
  41. Menomena - Friend and Foe
  42. Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position
  43. *Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace - if I don't get this for Christmas I'm off to HMV to buy it
  44. Gruff Rhys - Candylion
  45. !!! - Myth Takes
  46. Kaiser Chiefs - Yours Truly, Angry Mob - great follow up album and possibly the best, most fun act of Glastonbury this year. Deceptively simple lyrics and a real post punk pop feel.
  47. Enter Shakari - Take to the Skies
  48. The View - Hats of to the Busker - so talented at such an early age! Love this album.
  49. Interpol - Our Love to Admire
  50. Beirut - The Flying Club Cup

* I haven't actually bought anything for ages, what with my birthday not long gone and Christmas coming up I daren't buy anything in case someone gets me something. The two marked albums are the ones I the ones I shall be getting my hands on next, whether for Christmas or buying them myself.

No comments: