15 April 2008

Galaxy British Book Awards 2008

The Galaxy British Book Awards were held at the weekend. "The Nibbies" as they're known (because of the golden pen nib shaped award) are promoted by the UK publishing industry trade journal Publishing News and on the daytime Channel 4 TV programme Richard and Judy. A book mentioned in their Book Club slot is almost guaranteed a best seller status, such is the power of television.

Well at least it gets people reading. As did JK Rowling, with the nation's (world's?) kids. She receives the Outstanding Achievement Award for her Harry Potter books. I've read the first one; I think I'm a little old!
.
Book of the Year
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
..
Richard & Judy Best Read of the Year
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
.
Reader’s Digest Author of the Year
Ian McEwan - On Chesil Beach
.
Biography of the Year
My Booky Wook by Russel Brand
.
Children’s
Horrid Henry and the Abominable Snowman by Francesca Simon
.
Crime
Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell
New Comer of the Year
Catherine O'Flynn - What Was Lost
.
Popular Fiction Award
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
.
Popular Non Fiction Award
Long Way Down by Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boorman
.
Outstanding Achievement Award
J.K. Rowling
.
I'm currently reading The Kite Runner by Read of the Year winning author, Khaled Hosseini. It's a fantastic book and highly recommended. What are you reading at the moment or which books have you read in the last year that you have loved?

I'd like to thank Eamon over at Creative Think Juice for reminding me about this list with a post of his own about it. I even caught a b it pof the cermony on telly and thought it would be a good list, and promptly forgot about it. Check out his blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow since I've been gone I even have a new readers! Don't worry, the new one will be the same old Rachy but back with a vengeance!