23 April 2008

Paul Scholes: 100 Champions League appearances ***UPDATED****

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, I know it will put a lot of people off me, I am a Manchester United fan. Okay, I'm from the South West of England, although I've seen them play I've never actually been to Old Trafford. Thing is, I'm not a glory seeker.

All my friends supported the teams that were big in Europe: Liverpool, Leeds, Nottingham Forest. When I first got interested in football in the 1970s Manchester United won nothing. They even went down to the old second division. In the 80s they were perennially runners-up. It wasn't until Alex Ferguson became manager and got into his stride that they became the most successful team of recent years.

Now, I didn't want to jinx anything earlier (us football fans are superstitious people) until after the game between United at Barcelona in the first leg of the semi-final of the Champions League (final score 0-0, a good result in the away leg, despiute missing a penalty because we played terribly) but I wanted to make a list to celebrate former England midfielder Paul Scholes' 100 appearance in the competition. He's only the ninth player to dreach that landmark.

Here's the list of the players that have appeared in 100 (or more) games in the Champions League:

:: Paul Scholes
:: Ryan Giggs
:: David Beckham
:: Raul
:: Roberto Carlos
:: Paolo Maldini
:: Oliver Kahn
:: Clarence Seedorf
:: Luis Figo

***UPDATE***
29 April: Manchester United second leg of the Chapions League semi final was tonight. It had been 0-0 in Barcelona and United won 1-0 is a thrilling game tonight and guess who scored the goal? Yes, Paul Scholes! Last time Untied got to the final (and won) he was suspended so I really hope he plays. The final in Moscow in 3 weeks will be an all English affair for the first time. Chelsea play Liverpool in their second leg tomorrow (so far 1-1).

No comments: