23 May 2008

Actors that sing

This is not an excuse just to have a picture of the luminous Scarlett Johansson, honestly. She has an album, Anywhere I Lay My Head, out in the past couple of weeks, cover versions of, of all people, Tom Waits (who I love) with backing support from people like David Bowie and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It's had mixed reviews, I haven't heard it myself but it sounds an odd combination. It makes me think it would never have been made had she not been the movie star she was.


It also made me wonder if the records in the following list would have been made if the singers weren't actors.




:: Nick Berry - Every Loser Wins - highest UK chart position: No 1
:: Clive Dunn - Grandad - No 1
:: Windsor Davies and Don Estelle - Whispering Grass - No 1
:: Bennie Hill - Ernie, the Fastest Milkman in the West - No 1
:: Lee Marvin - Wanderin' Star - No 1
:: Jimmy Nail - Ain't No Love - No 1
:: Telly Savala - If - No 1
:: David Soul - Don't Give Up On Me Baby - No 1
:: Bruce Willis - Under the Boardwalk - No 2
:: Dennis Waterman - I Could Be So Good For You - No 3
:: Anita Dobson - Anyone Can Fall In Love - No 4
:: Kate Winslet - What If? - No 6
:: Don Johnson - Till I Love You - No 16
:: Edward Woodward - The Way You Look Tonight - No 42

That's not to mention William Shatner, John Travolta, Judy Garland, Jennifer Lopez, Jim Dale, Richard Chamberlain, Danny Kaye the list is far too long, unfortunately. Can you think of any?

No comments: