13 September 2007

Unique names

I recently discovered something that surprised me. The name Muhammed is the second most common name given to new born boys in the UK, behind Jack. Now, this is only the case when applying all the different spellings of the name but by next year it is expected to be at number one. The main reason that this is the case is the Muslim practise of bestowing the name as a prefix; before the name the boys will commonly be known by. Mohammed means “one who is praiseworthy” and is given as an honorary name. source: The Times

This got me thinking. In my life I haven't met many Muhammeds (or I have but they chose to be known by their second name), but there are also some people I know quite well that are the only examples of their own denomination that I've come across. Funnily enough, most of them are at my current place of work (and there are only 12 people in the office!).

Here is a list of names of people I have have met that are the only example of people I know with that name*:

  • Amber
  • Angus
  • Antoinette
  • Aubrey
  • Cameron
  • Finn
  • Harvey
  • Lorna
  • Peta (f)
  • Poppy
  • Rhona

* All these people are English otherwise things could get very complicated. I have met them all more than once.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

You've only ever met one Amber??